Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Reciept Checking Bullshit

Last night I went to Lowe's to get a bunch of minor things for the apartment. Things that normally a landlord would take care of before you move in, but we kinda squeezed ourselves through the gap in the door as the previous tenant left. Leaving the cleaning and minor repairs left to us.
After I bought my items I was rewarded with a Lowe's employee posted to the door to "check my receipt." Poor schmuck.
I somehow have mostly managed to avoid these bad-policy decisions before now. I've heard of them, the internet lets me know what happens to other people. I knew that the internet-agreed-upon response to such an inquiry was "No, thank you." You let them know that you understand their plight with kindness, but do refuse because it's the right thing to do. This from a post years ago about a man stopped by one of these vultures at a Best Buy:
But this verification step is purely voluntary. Merchants basically have two rights covering people entering and exiting their stores. They can refuse to let you enter the premises and/or to sell you anything, and they can place you under citizens arrest for attempting to leave the premises with any property that you haven't paid for. But the second you hand over the appropriate amount of cash, they lose all rights to the items. They can't legally impair you from leaving the store with your property.

Those are your rights. Best Buy guy ended up getting police involved, lawyers. All sorts of fun stuff. But for the most part, this is one of those things - when you can stand up for your rights with the smallest of repercussions, DO IT. Up there with "Am I being detained?" and taking the 5th.

I'm an asshole. Lowe's has a bad policy. She was a kindly looking middle-aged woman. She was required by policy to look, if possible, at my receipt. The people leaving in front of me had exchanged a polite laugh with her. She asked. I gave her an offended look and said "No," rather disgustedly. She simply asked why not to my back and I threw her a "Don't gotta!" over my shoulder. It was very gratifying.

2 Comments:

Blogger laughjon said...

Hippie.

July 2, 2008 at 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't usually let them check my receipt because the jerk doing the receipt checking usually ruins the receipt by drawing a line on it with a highlighter. As any receipt collector knows, that drops it's value and collectability way down.

July 4, 2008 at 2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home