Thursday, April 10, 2008

TEOTWAWKI - Food

I do not like typing "global food crisis" into Google news and getting 6,059 hits. (When did this become a recognized metric?) For those of you unawares, the UN has been raising a stink as riots over food are breaking out in select places worldwide. I heard someone describe it Tuesday as a perfect storm:

harvests down (Mr. Gore, care to comment?)
fuel corn is not food corn
forests are being increasing destroyed to make up for the land taken by biofuels
the earth is overpopulated
American war spending is reduction in American everything else spending
American economy otherwise on the brink - housing/credit, wall st v main st, inflation, poor get poorer
fuel prices drive production and shipping costs

Am I more afraid than a perfectly informed person ought to be? Perhaps. Are we going to fix enough things this time around that only a couple million will truly suffer? Probably. Do I need to live my own personal life and not worry my little head over global and unstoppable events that started before I was born? Absolutely. Or, at least until it really is TEOTWAWKI.

A global food crisis. Holy fucking shit.
One teensy, tiny reason I had stayed here in Ohio past my return flight to Minneapolis was a question in the back of my head. Is it now? I'd rather be home on the farm when it hits, than 600 miles away in an urban center. I don't think it is. Not yet. Not here in richpoor middle America. But my mind is creeping closer to the more paranoid worldview held by simonzayne.

Resource

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As if the rain today wasn't enough, you had to bring TEOTWAWKI into things. Damn you!!!

Just to think I was having a decent enough day, trying to digest the massive burger I chomped down on just a few hours ago.

Can I drive to your farm when TEOTWAWKI hits? Please?

April 10, 2008 at 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've told you before Drew. The more you think about it now, the more you can prepare, the better we'll all be. The Shit will Hit The Fan and it will be soon.

God I sound like a kook.

April 10, 2008 at 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like the *shit won't hit the fan* in our country until it hits somewhere else and our own homegrown conspiracy theorists decide to take things into their own hands. By trying to ensure their own survival they will be turning on the "fan" and throwing said "shit" in its general direction. Plus how come everyone wants to prepare for the end instead of trying to prevent it or at least lessen the level of endness?

April 10, 2008 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

Pat, if you can muscle your way to the gas pumps, sure, but you'd probably be better off finding some other mode of transportation. heh.

Anon, whether it's [our] paranoia or anything else that triggers it won't matter when it happens. Presumptuously laying blame is about about as useful as "trying to prevent it."

Man, I am an asshole. I am sorry.

April 11, 2008 at 1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's it boys. Just shrug your shoulders and shove your hands in your pockets.

April 11, 2008 at 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't see how me being prepared will add any more "shit" to said "fan." I know that right now, me personally, I can live off the food that I have for 2 months. My family can be fed for 3 weeks and it could easily be stretched to 4 weeks. We as a house hold could go without electricity for up to 4 weeks without having to search for fuel. I don't see how this does anything but lessen the strain on everyone else.
I personally don't want to be the guy trying to brave the city in search of food.

April 11, 2008 at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home