Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Podcast - Coverville

Through a temp agency, I work 2nd shift on an assembly line with trained, cigarette smoking monkeys. Four tens of such mind numbery would not be worth the pittance DDed weekly into my account were it not for iPods and podcasts and Audible.
I utter around four sentences a night that are not directly related to problems I am having with my part of the line. The rest of the time I snuggle up close to my headphones and ignore the people around me who occasionally move their lips while looking my direction. They probably were telling me that they liked me.

Good podcasts are hard to find. I am hard to please. iTunes is poorly organized. IF YOU KNOW OF GOOD PODCASTS, PLEASE, PLEASE SEND THEM MY WAY. I promise that if I hate them I will not pee in your soup.

Coverville is one of the best podcasts. Three times a weeks, Brian Ibbott records a show in his basement in Colorado. Inauspicious, yet wonderful. It's good that he has a radio voice to begin with. It's a music show. Usually six songs. All covers. Some nights are prescribed as all request, some tell the story of a person or a band and some are grouped thematically.
A little talking. A slew of new bands. Songs heard for the very second time. Under 40 minutes. This show is tight. An opening theme song (Cover Me) and a couple of end credits when necessary, the rest is pure radio goodness.

Brian is coming up on show number 500. The archives go all the way back. Impressive, entertaining, I cannot gush enough.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Working with "trained, cigarette smoking monkeys."

Doesn't sound much different than the ad business to me.

April 10, 2008 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

Oh, it's not. Except we do less damage to the people than you ad folks. That's why you get paid a little bit better.

April 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home