Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Six Word Memoirs

Remember PostSecret? It was a blog, then a book. Then four books. The idea was catchy. Get a postcard and write down a secret you never told anyone and send it to the blog to be posted to the world. Very creative and freeing. In my opinion, it got worse with time. Some were clearly made up for the shock value. Others were art projects, not simple anonymous confessions.

Enter the next (and already overexpanded) clever confessional. Prove your literary worth while summing up your life so far in only six words. I don't dislike it yet. Started by the online magazine Smith, the project has for all practical purposes eaten the magazine. The book has been out for a bit. Here's how they sum it up:
Legend has it that Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in only six words. His response? “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.” Last year, SMITH Magazine re-ignited the recountre by asking our readers for their own six-word memoirs. They sent in short life stories in droves, from the bittersweet (“Cursed with cancer, blessed with friends”) and poignant (“I still make coffee for two”) to the inspirational (“Business school? Bah! Pop music? Hurrah”) and hilarious (“I like big butts, can’t lie”).

I've been working on mine for weeks now. I've had an unhappy year. It took a while to write one that wasn't entirely bitter.
sharp - dress, tongue, mind, smell, teeth
Do write your own. It's interesting and I want to read it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Lotb:

I'm sorry you had a bad year.

Mine: Well, I thought it was funny (Okay, I know it was Stephen Colbert's, but it's perfect).

April 15, 2008 at 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

drew why are you retarded? most people at least try to make a sentence with their words. try again.


MP

April 16, 2008 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

it's described simply as six words, not a six word sentence, nesc. to be honest, i like the ones that are sentences better. where's yours?

April 16, 2008 at 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

angry girl for hire, likes singing.

shutup and tell me I'm right.

I thought of a couple more but I've forgotten them. Everything I write should only be 6 words. The resulting work is far superior than when I try to write 10 pages.

It started w/ writing a story in 6 words, now it is referred to as a memoir. Though I do think it is expected that you would be different, I think that in this situation a statement is stronger than 6 separate words.

MP

April 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it Ms. Pirate

April 16, 2008 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger SLRd said...

bored. frustrated. still need more change.

April 16, 2008 at 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home